Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Re-Learning To Talk

Okay so I've been away for a few days but I've been taking my speech schedule very seriously and today is day 3 of speaking for me. ^_^.  I started "talking" on Monday and I've been allowed to double up on the time I get to speak for.  My first experience talking after being silent for 5 days was shocking and hysterical.

I got to the doctor's office for my post-op visit and the tech there asked me if I'd started to talk yet for the day.  I shock my head no and she told me to go ahead and give it a try by saying "e".  I opened my mouth took a prepatory breath and went for it.  Unfortunately "it" was not in the mood to cooperate.  Nothing but air came out.  That surprised a laugh out of me.  I wasn't expecting that at all.  When I tried again some sound did come out but it was nothing like what I had in my mind.  You know when you're used to hearing yourself talk you have a certain expectation for what you should sound like.  What came out did not mesh with what I expected.

The tech assured me though that that was normal.  She did the scope and I made a few more sounds that got a bit stronger toward the end and then I got to see my vocal cords for the first time post surgery.  They were red and smooth and absolutely beautiful!  I was so happy it looked perfect.  Exactly as they should.  I told her to let the doctor know I thought he was a rock star.  Seriously.

A little later that night I did some more speech practice and it sounded about the same from when I left the office.  Today though it's still clearly recovering it sounds a bit stronger and I'm to practice using my voice a little longer.

I keep saying practice because it's like re-learning how to speak.  The vocal cords are still a bit rigid and so they aren't vibrating as much as healthy cords should so I need to exercise them or practice using them so they can start to get back to where they need to be.  I'm so happy with the results so far.  I know to have a realistic expectation though.  Not everyone heals at the same rate and the speech schedule I've been given is a bit on the liberal side meaning if I find that I'm still really hoarse in a weeks time I shouldn't panic just keep taking my time and not push myself.  I definitely don't want to have to go in for surgery again due to re-aggravating the situation.

School starts next week but I won't be quite ready to go back yet.  When I do go back though I will have my voice amp with me and I'll let you know how the first day went.

In Vocal Solidarity,

The soft spoken m&m

No comments:

Post a Comment