Friday, August 26, 2011

Operation Silence

It is now day 2 following my bilateral poly removal from vocal fold surgery.  Sheesh what a mouth full!  I've done a vlog explaining how the surgery went (what I could remember before the anesthesia took me away) and how the silence is effecting me.  The vlog is done in ASL.  My signing skills are a little weak but I gave it my best shot.  Today I'm going to do both, blog and vlog.  So here we go...

Last night at around 11:30 pm I had a little snafu.  I whispered!  It lasted only a few seconds and it was about 3 words.  As soon as I realized what had happened.  I just my mouth.  You see I have parakeets and they fall asleep on their swings.  They like to be as high up as possible to be away from "danger".  Anyway I was trying to coax one of them to get back on her swing before I turned the light off and the words of encouragement kind of slipped out.  I don't think this will cause any harm but I will be very diligent in the last remaining days of silence to be ABSOLUTELY quiet.

Other than that little bump in the road the day went quiet well.  I made myself a button that says:  "Dr.'s orders, I can't talk but I can hear and write. ^_^.  I went out with my button on and pen and pad in hand. I didn't have any trouble really with communicating and people were quite understanding and patient.  The biggest adjustment is not being able to workout like I'm used to.  I can't do any strenuous activity for  a few days.  So I'm left with walking or light jogging as an option and I'm pretty sure weight lifting is out.

So I'm trying to stay active but within the realm of the doctor's orders and also trying to stay hydrated.  I feel like my throat is constantly dry.  I wasn't in too much pain after the surgery but I was prescribed Tylenol with Codeine.  I haven't really needed it so I've only taken it once since I've been home.  The one thing I do need though is Mucinex.  I do have some mucus congestion which I was told could happen but I'm not allowed to cough or blow my nose so i gotta go with the Mucinex.

So post-surgery I'm doing well.  I can't wait to see the pictures of the surgery.  I asked the doc before they put me under if I could get some pictures of it and he said yes.  May seem strange to be excited to see that but I was sleeping when they did it so I missed the whole thing. ^_^

Signing off for now.  I'll report back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment